Tuesday, May 1, 2018

April Showers Bring Blessings

I grew up in a small church that sang mostly hymns.  I loved them.  Today I've been remembering a specific hymn from my childhood.  Do you remember that old hymn Showers of Blessings?  It went like this:

Showers of blessings.  
Showers of blessings we need.
Mercy drops round us are falling.
But for the showers we plead.

I've never really thought about what showers of blessings really look like.  In my mind, I have this picture of a million dollars falling from the sky, but I really don't think that's what the songwriter had in mind.  It could just mean we want lots of blessings (who really only wants a couple?), but I think it also has to do with comparing the blessings of life to the refreshing rain.  When we count how many blessings we have, it refreshes our mind, body, and spirit.

I'll admit that lately, it's been difficult for me to see the blessings.  Life is busy for us.  We seemed to have three peaceful months after Haven was born, but once kidding season began it felt like we went from 0 to 100 mph in the blink of an eye.  There were goats to milk, baby goats to feed, milk to pasteurize, jars to wash, then there was soccer practice to drive to, and soccer games to watch, and homeschool co-ops and concerts.  Not to mention the everyday chores of dishes (do they ever end?), laundry, a baby to nurse every three hours, meals to cook for boys who like to eat (and eat and eat some more, which results in more dirty dishes), homeschool work to finish, while every night it seems Greg goes one way while I go another.  All this has left me feeling frazzled, tired, and more than a little bit sorry for myself.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I know we all go through seasons of life where things are hectic, and we feel like all we do is run from one activity to another leaving a trail of dirty laundry and sink full of dirty dishes in our wake.  It's too easy to go so fast that I fail to see the blessings in it all.  It's too easy to become bogged down by the messy, hectic, mundane chaos that I miss the best parts of this life God has given me.  When I'm drowning so far beneath the weight of all I haven't accomplished today, that life's little blessings seem to drift away.

There's another hymn we used to sing.  Its words have soothed my soul today.

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
Do not be discouraged thinking all is lost.
Count your many blessings; name them one by one.
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

So tonight I'm counting my blessings:

-The sun was shining, and I didn't have to turn my space heater on today.
-Boston sat on my lap this morning while I milked goats.  I so rarely have time to sit with him during the day, and it was so nice to spend time with just him, even while I was getting chores done.  He thought he was milking, I got some snuggles.  It was a win-win.
-The boys played in the mud today, and even though it made an extra load of laundry, they were having a blast instead of sitting inside watching TV.
-During Canaan and Deacon's soccer practice, I got to play one-on-one with Lincoln tonight.  I never get to play soccer with just Lincoln.  It was quite fun!
-Greg has been making a lot of extra soap lately to keep our stores stocked and prepare for upcoming shows.  He has been having our niece come to help him wash his soap molds and various other jobs.  She got done early tonight with his tasks, and so she washed my dishes without being asked!  (Thanks Lydia!  You are the best!)
-I went to the grocery tonight with all the kids. Usually, strangers look at me like I'm an alien from outer space when I go anywhere with all six kiddos alone.  But today, a lady told me I had my hands full.  But then she said, "Aren't they all such blessings?"  No one ever says that to me.  What a smile that brought to my face.
-Besides milking, the boys can now do all the other barn chores without me.  (This is probably the most exciting blessing of all!)
-We only have 2 weeks of school left, and then we will be done. until. September!! (Scratch that, this is the most exciting blessing of all!)

When life seems to be streaming by me in a blur of never-ending chores and tasks, the best way for me to find peace is to stop, breathe, and look around.  There are showers of blessings all around.  All I have to do is collect and count them.  





No comments:

Post a Comment