Thursday, November 27, 2014

I'm thankful for: A Legacy

On this Thanksgiving, I was thinking of things I am thankful for.  The kids and I made a fun list to go with their memory verse this week, which included things like being thankful for not having to take a nap anymore (Gideon) and for horses (Canaan) and for tractors (Lincoln).  But I began thinking the one thing I am most thankful for is that my parents told me about Jesus.  I often think where I would be if I hadn't grown up with the family I had.  Mine was a very strong Christian family.  Not just my immediate family, but my extended family on all sides were Bible-believing, faithful people.  For me, it was normal.  I never realized until high school that most people did not grow up with this kind of very functional family.  And even then I didn't realize how truly blessed I was until I joined a ladies Bible study last winter.  We spent one evening discussing our testimonies.  Some of the women looked at me with disbelief when I talked about my extended Christian family.  When I talked about the faithful example I had to follow in not only my parents, but my grandparents and even great-grandparents, and then some of them talked about how few examples they had, it started to sink in.  I am really blessed.  More than that, I am really, really thankful.

Every Thanksgiving we loaded up the car and drove to Missouri to celebrate with my grandmother's family.  My great-great Grandpa had preferred the Thanksgiving holiday over Christmas, so he made a deal. His family could spend Thanksgiving with him, and Christmas with their in-laws.  This seemed to work for everybody, and it became a tradition.  So every year we gathered: 40, 50, 60 of us, though one year for my great-grandparents 60th anniversary, there were 80.  It was always a fun time, seeing cousins we hadn't seen all year.  My family was also inundated with good cooks, so the food was always homemade and incredible.  The day after Thanksgiving, we always went bowling, even my great-grandparents.  We got to stay in a hotel.  But what made it even more special is how many of us were united in our love for and faith in Jesus Christ.

Then there was my grandpa's family, which was smaller, but just as dedicated to their faith.  I watched my other great-grandma come to church every Sunday of her life, until she finally became bedridden.

And my dad's family, who we gathered with every Christmas day, the memories of which give me more peace and joy than almost any other childhood memories.  Sitting around my grandma's table, with my parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, which we did much more often than merely on holidays, was where I learned the value of family, of hard work, of our faith.

I was surrounded by faithful examples everywhere I went.  I'm not saying I had a better family than everyone else, and they certainly weren't perfect.  But I realize more and more what a rarity it was to grow up in the family I did.

I always thought my testimony was boring.  "I grew up in a Christian family.  I became a Christian.  The end."  Then, I had a good friend tell me, "Amber, you're their legacy.  The result of the faithfulness of your great-grandparents on down.   There's nothing boring in that."  I had never thought of it that way.  Thanks to the decision of those who came before me to raise their families to fear God and to honor His commands, I know the Truth!  What came as a result of my great-grandparents' decision spread out into all branches of our family tree.  But what strikes me as more exciting is that even if you didn't grow up with the legacy I did; even if you didn't have family after family member who obeyed the Gospel; even if you're the first one in the family to follow Christ, your legacy can start today.  All it takes is one person, just one decision, and your family legacy can change forever.  Our God is a God of restoration, of change, of redemption.  All it takes is your choice to follow our Savior, to actively teach your children about Him, and then someday your grandchildren can say, "I'm here because of you."  The power of our decision to honor the Gospel is amazing.

When my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, our family gathered at their church on a Sunday and sang the song "Find us Faithful."  I'll never forget the words.

Oh may all who go behind us find us faithful.
May the fire of our devotion light their way.
May the footprints that we leave,
lead them to succeed.
May the life we live inspire them to obey.
Oh may all who go behind us find us faithful.

While it is a prayer for our own lives, I have reflected on those words as I've thought about the family that came before me.  Yes, I found so many of you faithful.  For that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment