Thursday, November 13, 2014

Meet the Herd

One of the most fun things on the farm is watching our goats grow and develop.  Just like our children, each of our goats has a distinct and unique personality that sets it apart from the others.  And just like people, some are easier and harder to get along with.  Many of you have had the chance to meet or already know our family.  But, very few of you get to meet our goats.  So, here are a few members of our herd:



Sassy: 
Each goatherd has a queen, and Sassy is it.  In college, I had a dear friend who used to jokingly say, "I'm Melissa, and I do what I want."  If Sassy had a catchphrase, it would be, "I'm Sassy, and I do what I want."  There is no telling Sassy what to do.  She comes out of her pen when she wants, she gets on the stand when she wants, she is afraid of no one and nothing, not even the dog who relentlessly tries to herd her.  She is fearless, determined, proud, and aptly named.  She's just Sassy.



Blizzard: 
Blizzard is Sassy's daughter, and our easy-going goat.  She doesn't let things rattle her, is pretty even-tempered, but still got enough sassiness from her mom to make her interesting.  To me, she is our prettiest and best goat.  She gives 2 gallons of milk a day during peak milking season, and it wouldn't surprise me if in a year or two she succeeds her mother as herd queen.



Annie: 
Annie is afraid...of everything.  She is the most shy goat we have, and the hardest to get on the milk stand.  If it's dark, she refuses to come out of her pen.  Or if it's windy, or rainy, or she can see the dog, or a cat, or my foot, or one of the boys.  I have drug her to the stand more times than I can count.  And if you put her on the stand, and then walk away to do something for a moment, she's bawling her heart out because you left her there alone.  She makes up for her annoying habits though.  She has some crazy-good genetics, and also gives a little over 2 gallons per day during peak milking season.



Shocker:
While her official registered name is Kool Hugs, Gideon nicknamed her Shocker shortly after we brought her home, and it stuck.  Shocker is footloose and fancy free.  If she were at a goat party, she'd be the life of it.  She is affectionate, playful, and always in a good mood.  She is the easiest to work with when she needs doctoring, hooves trimmed, or anything else.  She is just a lot of fun to have in the barn.  


Prima:

Prima is our oddball.  She was never bottle-fed, so she is not quite as lovable as our other goats.  While the others will "listen" to me when I pull on their collars, it is often all I can do to keep her from dragging me through the barn.  She rarely likes to be petted, and is usually all business during milking time.  

Caspian on the day we brought him home 3 years ago

Caspian:
If Sassy is the queen, then Caspian is the king.  He is big, stinky, and hairy, but also love-able and easygoing.  When he escapes his pen, it usually doesn't take much to get him back in, because he usually follows you around like a lost puppy.  We are really thankful to have him in our herd, because he keeps fathering beautiful babies.  

We also have four young doelings whose personalities are still developing.  It will be so interesting to see what kind of adults and milkers they grow into.  Now that I've introduced you to our herd, don't you want a goat?  Come March after kidding season, I know exactly where you can get one.  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment