Monday, January 23, 2012

The Calm Before the Storm

Right now is a "quiet" time for us on the farm.  Thinking that it is "quiet" right now is almost laughable, because I feel like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes trying to get everything done around here, but it is true that this is the calm time for us.  Our does have been dried up since we bred them in September to allow their bodies a break.  The stress of breeding season is over, the bustle of the holidays are over, and everyone can relax for a month or so. 

But, towards the end of February kidding will begin.  We have three does (female goats) due to kid and they could have up to 4 babies apiece, though 2 babies is the norm.  Last year, all three of our goats had twins, though only 2 sets survived.  Two weeks prior to the girls' due dates, we constantly check on them for signs of labor, sometimes even in the middle of the night, because we want to be present for the births.  Last year I remember driving the van to the barn at 1 in the morning (I drove because it was cold and snowy, and I was barely awake) thinking "If our neighbors see me doing this they are going to think I'm crazy."  Then I remembered that most people think that about us anyway. 

After the doe gives birth, we remove the kids from their mothers.  There are a few reasons for doing this.  First, goats can pass on a disease called CAE to their young through their milk, and so we remove the young to keep them from getting this disease.  Second, you don't get much milk from a goat when their babies are constantly nursing.  So, once the babies are removed from their mothers, the babies will go to our garage where the boys and I will be feeding them 3-4 times a day.  Not only will we be feeding (more than likely) 6 babies 3 times a day, but we will be milking does twice a day.  Then begins the process of straining and pasteurizing milk, washing what feels like 100 jars a day for milk storage, freezing milk for soapmaking, finding time for soapmaking.  Then before we know it, the time will come to begin the garden planting, the farmer's market, the craft show season, along with all the other chaos that accompanies summer. Now do you understand what I mean by "storm"?  Don't get me wrong, I love the life we've chosen to live, but I feel like I'm taking one of those huge breaths you take before you dive into a pool and try to swim all the way to the other end without coming up for air.  Or maybe I'm the only that does that.

No matter, we're just trying to relax for the moment until all the craziness begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment